Satay Lettuce Wraps
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 1/4 pounds thinly sliced pork or chicken cutlets or 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or chicken
- 1/4 pound oyster, baby white or shitake mushrooms, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped or thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, cut into thin matchsticks or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- A few dashes of hot pepper sauce
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, core removed and head quartered
PreparationUsing a food processor, finely chop the peanuts.
In a large skillet, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over high heat. Add the pork and cook until browned, about 5 minutes; season with pepper. Add the mushrooms, scallions, garlic and ginger; toss for 2 minutes. Push the ingredients to the side of the pan and add the peanut butter to the center to melt. Whisk in the apple juice, Tamari (eyeball it) and hot sauce. Stir in the peanuts.
Spoon the satay into a serving bowl or individual bowls. Serve the lettuce wedges alongside. Scoop the satay mixture into lettuce leaves to wrap up as you eat.