I just recently purchased some umboshi plums for a weight-loss tea recipe that I got from The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone. I am now discovering that these plums are apparently a cure all for the Japanese. They are used them for the following ailments: detoxification, constipation, bad breath, lack of appetite, hangovers and morning sickness. Here are some interesting facts:
ALKALINIZING EFFECT OF UMEBOSHI:
We can maintain a weak alkaline pH (of about 7.35) in our blood by regularly consuming umeboshi. Without exaggerating, the ume has been named "the king of alkaline foods." By taking 10 grams of umeboshi we can neutralize the acidity created by consuming 100 grams of sugar. The strength of this alkalinizing effect is due to three factors:
* The abundance of citric acid makes the absorption in the small intestine of alkaline minerals, such as iron, magnesium, etc., from other foods, much easier. Citric acid combines with those minerals from other foods, creating an easy to absorb mineral salt.
* Umeboshi itself contains high amounts of alkaline minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese, potassium, etc. Because these minerals are digested in the presence of citric acid, their absorption is insured.
* Citric acid breaks down the lactic acid in our blood and tissues.
Other Components of Umboshi Plums:
* Picric Acid: This acid supports and stimulates the function of the liver. Umeboshi also helps the liver to clean out artificial chemicals from our body.
* Catechin Acid: This acid speeds up the peristaltic movement of the intestines; it also has an antiseptic effect, and promotes the digestion of proteins.
* Pectin Acid: This acid is present in the umeboshi peel. It has a laxative effect.
I have also read on a blog that this tea is very helpful for crohns flare ups, so I just might have to try it out the next time I have one, here is the recipe:
To make, first boil enough water to fill a mug...do NOT microwave. Cut off a 1/2-1 plum and cut into tiny shreds. When water is boiling poor into mug and add plum. Then stir and drink. It will taste a bit sour and salty. If you have crohn's, chew the plums VERY good.